Tuesday 9 January 2007

The Authority of Scripture

When reading chapter 4 which addresses the question of the authority of scripture I found myself not thinking as much about the details of the arguments but what it was actually saying to me and found it amazingly powerful and challenging.

It was a real reminder that the Bible is the written word of God - which I know I knew but the impact of that really struck home. I have been looking at Hebrews recently and was particularly struck by the first few words where it states - without any debate - that God has spoken. Its easy to go past those first words and focus on the supremacy of Christ (which is a great subject!) but it is also good to remind ourselves of that basic truth that God has chosen to reveal himself to us.

I found the definition on the opening page to be particularly challenging where it states that disbelieving or disobeying any word of scripture is to disbelive or disobey God.

Later on - page 83 - there is the statement that the Bible is God's Words which means that it is the ultimate standard of truth, the reference point by which every other claim to truthfulness is to be measured.

If Christians / the church / I really understood the truth of these statements and lived our lives accordingly I believe that the effect on this world would be amazing - and this is how it ought to be.

Some food for thought....

No comments: