Sunday 7 January 2007

Ezra and Ephesians

Thanks, Dad, for your last answer. It is encouraging how much 'historical' evidence there is for the canon we have, and how much power and unity the words themselves bring to persuade us they are God's.

In answer to my own question (!) as to whether there are any Old Testament books that we know weren't written by prophets, it seems to me that Ezra wasn't. In 7:27-28 it looks like Ezra himself is speaking in the first person, so my guess is that Ezra himself wrote the book. While he was a priest descended from Aaron (7:1-5) I don't think he was a prophet. So if there are books in the Old Testament not written by prophets and in the New not written by apostles, can I take the conversation on a brief tangent? In Ephesians 2:19-21 we see the Church is "built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus himself being the cornerstone". What do you think of the idea that "the apostles and the prophets" means the Bible (New and Old Testaments, respectively)?

I'm not sure it's a very important question, so if it seems trivial don't worry about spending a lot of time on it. In the meantime, though, I'm going to start on chapter 4 and see if I can't get a comment on a chapter up before you this time!

No comments: